Our last bike map update came out in 2010. For a while, we did not update the map because there were not enough new projects to justify printing. More recently, a spate of construction has significantly expanded the miles of bike lanes and paths in Athens-Clarke County. While we work on creating a new hard-copy map, here is a web-based version. Updates include:
NEW BIKE LANES AND PATHS
- College Station bike lanes! GDOT replaced the bridge and we now have continuous bike lanes all the way out to the intersection with Barnett Shoals Rd.
- The Firefly Trail. The trail is planned and funded through Winterville to the county line. It is currently built from Broad St. to Old Winterville Road.
- The Waffle House Connector. This section of new greenway connects Lexington Rd. to the North Oconee Access Rd (and College Station). Construction is wrapping up on another spur to connect from North Oconee Access Rd. to Barnett Shoal via Bailey St.
- Trail Creek Connector is more of a sidewalk from First St. to Vine St. A nice off-street path runs from Vine St. through the Trail Creek Park.
- Riverbend Pkwy Buffered Bike Lanes.
- “Bike Lanes” on Hawthorne. The 3-lane conversion on Hawthorne — converted to improved motor-vehicle safety — created a “bike-able” area. These are NOT bike lanes.
- “Bike Lanes” on Baxter between Milledge and Rocksprings. These “lanes” are not wide-enough to meet minimum bike-lane standards. They are more akin to a shoulder.
- Oglethorpe bike lanes do not extend to the Hawthorne intersection. They end at Sunset. The updated map reflect this reality.
Anything we missed? Or need to add?