Happy Holidays from BikeAthens!
As you enjoy this Holiday Season, think of BikeAthens. From writing the first Athens Complete Streets policy to refurbishing 140 bikes, BikeAthens accomplished so much last year — and it’s all because of the support of people like you. Please consider joining us as a member, renewing your membership, or giving us a charitable donation to help us continue succeeding in our mission in 2012!
Here’s a quick list of what we accomplished in 2011:
Our Bike Recycling Program refurbished 140 bikes and logged 2300 volunteer hours!
- Assisted Athens-Clarke County in achieving the Bronze level Bike Friendly Community designation, only the 2nd community in the state to achieve it.
- Our Transportation Policy Committee wrote a Complete Streets policy and is building a coalition by partnering with
other local non-profits and businesses.
- Monthly Group Rides, from April to October, continue to teach safe riding practices.
- Bike to Market Days assisted Commuters, Errand runners, and Social Cyclists in building alternative transportation travel plans.
- We helped citizens stay informed about public input opportunities and state and national policy Action Items.
- Submitted productive comments on TSPLOST project criteria and lists.
- Hosted this year’s Georgia Bike Summit October 7-9, 2011.
- Moved the Bike Recycling Program to a new shop.
- Refurbished and donated over 50 kids’ bikes to various ACC schools and social service agencies for our Holiday Bikes 4 Kids drive.
- At every First-Year Student Orientation session in the summer, we were there distributing maps and teaching students about bike commuting in Athens and UGA.
- Joined community partners in hosting the Bike to Work Day Rally to encourage community members to try and succeed in commuting by bike.
- Worked with Athens Transit to create a new bus map design.
- Wrote a city-endorsed Traffic Calming Manual, the guide for neighborhoods in need of Traffic Calming infrastructure.
- Supported other local nonprofits by participating in the Charity Chili Cookoff.
- Were chosen by New Belgium to host the annual Clips of Faith fundraising event, an honor for only a select number of
cities with transportation choices organizations.
- Assisted the University’s MPA program in creating a Bike Project Manual for ACC.
- Sponsored the Tour de Farm for 30 riders over 100 miles and 7 local farms for 3 days.
By joining or rejoining now, you will receive a BikeAthens membership card, good for discounts from several local businesses including:
Ben’s Bikes, Blockader Homebrew Supply, Dondero’s Kitchen, The Healthy Gourmet, The Hub, Georgia Cycle Sport, Sunshine Cycles, and Athens Atlas Chiropractic Center- plus the satisfaction of knowing that your money has supported sustainable change.
Please join, renew, or give online today!
Thanks, as always, for your continued support of transportation choices in Athens.
Mike Ely BikeAthens
Chair P.O Box 344
BikeAthens Athens, GA 30603